[Buddha-l] Buddhist ethics in a contemporary world

Stefan Detrez stefan.detrez at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 11:40:16 MST 2005

Hi Gary,

> "Economic immigration" = ?

MIgration because of bad economic circumstances, like, people leaving
their country to make a living elsewhere.

> Also could you please elaborate what is meant by "Compromise
> considering the highly individualized conception etc.?"

'If we all have to think for ourselves, we might end up all thinking
something different.' An example is the relative gravity of killing of
animals in Buddhist communities: Peter Harvey
(in 'Introduction to Buddhist ethics') gives the example of the
Tibetans who find it less moral to kill plenty of small animals, than
to kill one large animal, whereas Buddhists living off fishing would
claim the opposite.

> No, karuna has no beginning middle no end.

Would this mean you can never start giving karuna?

> > 2) Is there room for retributive justice in cases of war crimes or
> > hate crimes?

> Retributive justice = an eye for an eye?

> (which makes the whole blind)

No, it would mean to punish (to the extent possible) according to the
crime, thereby 'setting the record straight'.

Stefan Detrez