[Buddha-l] Texas liberals

Michael Paris parisjm2004 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 30 10:00:43 MDT 2005

I'm sure he was.

I live in Fort Worth, two hundred or so miles north of Austin and an
entirely different culture. As Dallas has a different culture from FW.
I'm only tangentially acquainted with Austin culture, but it does seem
like a nice place for open-minded folks to live (if you can find a job
there). Lots of Buddhist places, for one thing.

Burnham is, of course, a local figure, something of a curmudgeon in the
state legislature. Nice enough guy, I gather. I used to see his father
at the local Sierra club.

Austin is the one city in Texas where there's a good percentage of
liberals, eccentrics, and the like. Not so elsewhere in this
business/conservative dominated state. <sigh>

Michael

--- Stephen Hodge <s.hodge at padmacholing.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> It has been suggested to me off-list that you [Andy] were speaking
sarcastically, so please do not take my comments personally if you were
doing so. But please be aware that it is not at obvious to those of us
who cannot pick up on the contextual clues.  I doubt anybody outside
the US has any idea who Lon Burnam is, what he stands for, or even what
is the significance of your "People's Republic of Austin".