[Buddha-l] Re: Texas liberals (death penalty)

Catalina Castell-du Payrat c_castell at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 30 02:54:14 MDT 2005

Stephan Detrez wrote:

<I'm not saying every murderer should get the death penalty, but I say that (honest and integer) governments should have the right to kill persons that disrupt social cohesion or cause mass suffering by murder (a act-consequentialist ethic seems in place here). >

I do not agree with that. Honest and integer governments?......just name one......To me a government or a person that can justifie "killing" and do it, is a murderer as well.

I  remember reading stories about bhikkus killing somebody to defend some disciples of being killed, I thought at the time that this is a choice, of the person involved at the particular situation. To make assasination "legal" is another subjet......I do not have a solution for serial killers, etc, people really mad or so, but I guess that you start justifying those "legal killings" in "some cases" and then you finish killing a lot of people that are just people or even innocents.

In your statement, does it means that this would include to be able to kill governments that "disrupt social cohesion or cause mass suffering by murder" ?

Catalina

Catalina Castell - du Payrat
c_castell at yahoo.com