[Buddha-l] S. Pinker (linguist, cognitive psychologist)

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Jun 28 20:33:07 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 15:29 -0400, SJZiobro at cs.com wrote:

> I think your criteria for determining whether the USA is nominally a
> Christian country or not differ from mine or from the Founders.

State your criteria and give me evidence showing they have been met. As
for the founders of this nation, they had such a wide range of views
that it is pure mythology to depict them as agreeing on the matter of
religion. Besides, what any of the founders believed in the late decades
of the 18th century could not possibly be binding on us in the first
decade of the twenty-first century, so drop that red herring before it
begins to stink.

> The Hail Marys are a capital idea; I'll say them for your conversion,

Conversion to what from what? I am already dedicated to cultivating
virtue in every way I can. Is it your plan to convert me to seeking
vice?

--
Richard Hayes
http://www.unm.edu/~rhayes