[Buddha-l] Re: Albuquerque

Michael Paris parisjm2004 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 28 14:01:54 MDT 2005

--- "Richard P. Hayes" <rhayes at unm.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 08:43 -0700, Michael Paris wrote:

> > Not all Texans are caricatures

> Here in New Mexico we spell that "character." And we pronounce
> "nuclear" "nuclear" rather than "nukular."

    Indeed.
    So do I. Glad to hear there's not a language barrier.

> > Texas has a small contingent of liberals.

> Jim Hightower, Andy Fort and you. That's three. Any others?

    My wife. The few Buddhists I know in person. Some UUs at a church I
used to attend. At least some of the members of the Disciples of Christ
church I currently attend. State Rep. Lon Burnham. Bob Ray Sanders of
KERA-TV, also a columnist for the Star-Telegram paper. Leonard Pitts,
also a columnist.

> > In time my wife (also an atypical native Texan) and I plan retire
in New Mexico. Looks like a great place to live.

> In fact, it's awful. It has become overcrowded, due mostly to the
huge cockroach population and the influx of human beings from
California. The rivers are dry. People plant cactus in their yards. All
the food has chile in it. And New Mexicans are notoriously gruff and
hostile to strangers. (They're all pretty much like me.)

    Yum. A large food supply. Got some recipes?
    Why would Californians go to NM?
    Perfect! So are we. We'll fit right in.

> > In the meantime, there are some fine vacation spots on our list. I
hope to drop by a few Zendos as well.

> There are some pretty good zendos here, but watch out for the
scorpions under the zafus. Zazen in New Mexico is a race between
instant enlightenment and sudden death.

    My practice could use some intensity.
    I wonder why the Rinzai school hasn't adopted the use of scorpions
under zafus. Seems logical.

    Michael