[Buddha-l] tsunami daanaa--is it reaching the needy?

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sat Jun 25 21:42:36 MDT 2005

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/4621937.stm

>From the blog under this article, this item:
In the end, I didn't send any money to the fund as I felt that a) the
British government was already sending money on my behalf from the taxes I
pay and b) the fund was getting so large that it was inevitable that some of
it would be misappropriated. Following the Sri Lankan imposition of import
taxes on Oxfam vehicles, I feel vindicated. It's much better to support the
smaller charities where you have full confidence in how the money will be
spent.
Dave, Leicester, UK
So, nothing has changed even after the biggest natural disaster of recent
times.
The Thai coastal tourist scene is already up and running while locals still
don't have homes and, often, work. In Sri Lanka, the aid distribution is
still being fought over.
Joanna