[Buddha-l] Re: Disciple Count

Kate marshallarts at bigpond.com
Thu Jun 23 00:15:11 MDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard P. Hayes" <rhayes at unm.edu>
To: "Buddhist discussion forum" <buddha-l at mailman.swcp.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2005 2:30 PM
Subject: [Buddha-l] Re: Disciple Count

> On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 11:07 +1000, Kate wrote:
>
>> The problem with numbers used in Asian writings is that often they have
>> symbolic meanings.
>
> True. I have heard 84,000 explanations for why 108 is a sacred number in
> India. The one I like best is because it was a sacred number in Babylon.
> The Babylonians loved squares and cubes, and they were fascinated by 2
> squared times 3 cubed (4x27).

My favourite explanation for 108 is that 1+0+8 = 9, the 8 referring to the
eight squares/halls of the mandala or 8 fold path and the ninth for the
central square/enlightment or Buddhahood.  In the case of defilements or
vices, having 108 of these gives a formula whereby the mention of something
unpleasant (the defilements or vices) is automatically offset by the number
9, and at the same time illustrates the way of overcoming these defilements
being via the 8 squares/8 fold path to the central square.

This explanation conjures up visions of a group of monks huddled around,
trying to come up with enough defilements to total 108.  After many days of
thinking and deliberation, they make it.  Then one monk thinks of one

Regards
Kate