[Buddha-l] Re: Mahayana taught by the Buddha?

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Jun 22 10:45:23 MDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 12:11 +0800, Wong Weng Fai wrote:

> Received the following via email and taught it may be pertinent to this
> discussion. Any idea of the source of the sutra?
>
> W.F. Wong

> Subject: The Buddha Speaks the Cancer Healing Sutra

This piqued my curiosity. When my curiosity peaked, I peeked into my
English-Sanskrit dictionary to see what the Sanskrit for "cancer" might
be. As I suspected would be the case, all the words listed are terms for
various kinds of skin sores, not for the range of internal diseases that
we now collectively know as cancer. These diseases we know call cancer
were unknown to the Indians, although their effects, such as death, were
known. So my guess is that the mantras in the Great Cancer Sutra are
merely band-aid solutions, meant to cure canker sores and mild cases of
diaper rash. They are probably not as effective as a good disinfectant
would be, but I suppose if you were deserted in the wilderness without a
first-aid kit, a mantra wouldn't hurt anything and might keep you alive
until a bear ate you.

Still unable to take mantras seriously, I remain
dubiously yours,
Richard

--
Richard Hayes