[Buddha-l] Re: Mahayana taught by the Buddha?

Randall Jones rjones at cm.ksc.co.th
Mon Jun 20 21:54:37 MDT 2005

Thanks Curt.

 > The thing that is so often
 > forgotten is that mathematics is beautiful - and it is only once
 > you've been seduced by that beauty that you can learn it for its
 > own sake - rather than trying very hard to not learn any more
 > than absolutely necessary in order to DO something.

 > The same is true of Buddhism - word for word, in my opinion.

I liked your post.  And you're right that I have sometimes/often viewed
practice as a means to a desirable end.  And, yes, I have even tried to
"calculate" the minimum effort I might get away with.

I've done Buddhism as decor, too, though it seems I've read warnings about
it.  I'd think, though, that it might start one down the path just as well
as theorizing might.

Question:  Are you suggesting that the beauty of Buddhism is what grounds
practice?

Peace,
Randall