[Buddha-l] Re: Mahayana taught by the Buddha?

Randall Jones rjones at cm.ksc.co.th
Mon Jun 20 20:40:21 MDT 2005

At 08:18 AM 6/21/2005, Richard wrote:

>One must understand the method. There is nothing else in Buddhism to
>understand. There's really not an awful lot of theory to worry one's
>troubled head about.

Theory is what allows me (RJ) to make a rational decision to begin to
practice (something).

If there's no theory, what motivates starting to practice?  Someone says it
feels good?

Seems to me (but maybe this is idiosyncratic) that if there is no theory,
then there must be faith.

Peace,
Randall
rjones at cm.ksc.co.th
randall.jones at lannaist.ac.th

Later thought:  I suppose there could be individual theorizing without
there being "Buddhist" theory, and this could motivate a particular
individual to begin.  And then, down the (practice) path a bit, the
theorizing might be put aside.  (Maybe that is my story, not sure--I
generally credit putting theory aside to getting older.)