[Buddha-l] Re: Mahayana taught by the Buddha?

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Jun 20 19:13:18 MDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 18:52 -0500, Bruce Burrill wrote:

> On E-sangha, former Buddha-L resident Namdrol's (aka Malcolm Smith)
> present place of residence, I once innocently referred to the
> composition of Mahayana sutras and I was severely abused by
> the Mahayana literalist/fundamentalists, and never mind that I would also
> refer to the composition of the Pali suttas.

Bruce, I'm shocked. Didn't you realize that the Buddhist canons, like
the Vedas, are eternal and therefore had no author?

There is a car parked on a street near my house that has a bumper
sticker saying "I love Jesus, but can't stand his fans." As time has
worn on (and worn me out), I have come to feel pretty much the same way
about the Buddha.

--
Richard Hayes
http://www.unm.edu/~rhayes