[Buddha-l] Embryo

r.g.morrison sgrmti at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 7 15:40:00 MDT 2005

Rahula:

: Many years ago, I read about stages of embryonic developement, from fetus
to birth, or something like that,  in a Buddhist scripture.
:
: Is there really such thing? Where can I get more information? Or which
sutta mentioned it?

See Samyutta Nikaya i. 206, where the stages are first the kalala or initial
'embryo', which is supposed to be like a tiny translucent drop, followed by
abbuda, pesii, and ghana, from which 'emerge the limbs'  These are also
mentioned by Buddhaghosa, Visuddhimagga 236.

Robert Morrison