[Buddha-l] More Buddhist angels?

Volker Thewalt vthewalt at gmx.net
Mon Jun 6 00:57:51 MDT 2005

Dear Joanna, dear all,

having a short look at Marshall, Buddhist Art of
Gandhara (Cambridge 1960, Re-printed
in Pakistan at the Anjuman Press, Karachi) I found
quite a number of winged "angels":

figs. 21, 22: Inscribed brackets (nagadantas) in form
of a winged deva from Sirkap
figs. 23-25: ditto, from Kunala and Dharmarajika
figs. 145,146: similar: winged atlants
fig. 148: frieze of garland with winged figures from
Kalawan.

There must be many more sculptures like these ---
unfortunately I do not
have all the publications (Foucher, Ingholt,
Rosenfield, Faccenna, etc.) at hand to
check it out.

Best,
Volker