[Buddha-l] A letter concerning toleration

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Jun 2 05:46:20 MDT 2005

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 12:41:47 -0500 (CDT)
  "Timothy C. Cahill" <tccahill at loyno.edu> wrote:

> I'm not really sure what a society of jackboots and
> goose-steps looks like.

PBS has had some good programs on North Korea recently.
Several tens of thousands of soldiers in jackboots
goosestepping and shouting praises to their enlightened
leader is not a pretty sight.

> See:
>
> http://www.campus-watch.org/

Tim, have you encountered any of the Indian studies
equivalents to what this web site is doing? I haven't met
any of them face to face, but I have heard rumors about
students "monitoring" classes about Hinduism and
complaining when professors said things that could be
perceived as critical of, say, the caste system. As you no
doubt recall, a few years ago the Indology list was almost
brought down by some contributors who objected strenuously
to someone suggesting that the Aryans had gone into India
and Persia from Anatolia or the steppes of Europe, rather
than being indigenous to India and moving out. Even
discussions about Sanskrit grammar were becoming flame
wars.

Buddhist studies has been relatively free of attempts by
Buddhists to control what is taught in the classroom,
although I do recall receiving some threats in the
mid-1990s from a Nichiren zealot who took offense at some
thread on buddha-l. The messages arrived in my campus
mailbox on postcards mailed from Connecticut. The messages
were composed of letters cut out of newspapers and pasted
on the cards. I thought it was laughable, but a couple of
my colleagues were quite alarmed at the possible
implications.

The very idea of academic freedom is, and long has been,
puzzling to quite a few non-academics. I suspect that
American society is once again living in a period when the
freedom to say things that deviate from a particular view
of the world (even the universe) can be taken for granted.
NPR and PBS are both under close scrutiny by
neo-conservatives. The gap between North Korea and the
United States is still (thank Amitabha) enormous, but
events in recent years suggests it may be closing, and
there is not much comforting evidence to suggest that the
folks over in La Casa Blanca would not like to see America
become as repressive as any number of totalitarian regimes
in the Middle East, Asia, Africa and South America have
been.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy