[Buddha-l] (Steve) Lane letter

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Jun 1 16:17:04 MDT 2005

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:06:48 -0400
  SJZiobro at cs.com wrote:

> This is a reasonable view.  On the other hand, Steve's
>main complaint is that many of his posts responding to
>political remarks by Richard or other liberally minded
>posters were not sent to the list.  It is reasonable to
>expect that they would be, if only to give all posters an
>equal voice.

This is now and always has been the policy on buddha-l. No
message is ever rejected because any of the moderators
disagree with the opinions expressed in it. Very few
messages are rejected for any reason at all, unless they
violate the guidelines of decorum and courtesy that have
are publicly posted. I'm even pretty lenient about that,
since I myself am often aggressive and have been perceived
by some as rude.

I would strongly urge everyone not to bother with this
issue. My departmental chairman is out of town and has no
time to deal with a flood of letters. He knows what I
teach in the classroom, because we has attended some of
the courses I have taught, and we get extensive comments
from students. He can sort out what I teach in the
classroom from what I say on the Internet. Most of the
politicians in the state of New Mexico are quite familiar
with my views, since I write to them regularly. So I am in
no need of being defended, but I do appreciate people's
concern.

May I suggest buddha-l now we returned to the purpose for
which it is intended: the discussion of buddhism.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy