[Buddha-l] (Steve) Lane letter

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 1 14:34:35 MDT 2005

Steve Lane et al.,

Oh, how I wanted this all to dry up and blow away! As it seems it
won't, since Richard has decided the best policy is to let Steve Lane
post, let me add a constructive thought or two.

First, Steve, Richard is now letting you post; your prior claims
against him may or may not be valid, but they clearly don't apply any
longer. You may want to pursue your vendetta against Richard--though I
fear you will only earn the laughter of his departmental chair--but you
now have no case against this list and no reason to trouble us all with
your continued off-topic posts. Please stop, immediately, and write
about Buddhism, like the rest of us, once this thread is exhausted
(which I pray will be soon).

Second, while I agree with you that it is inappropriate for Richard or
any other moderator to suppress cogent and germane posts simply due to
their political content, it *is* appropriate for any moderator to
suppress badly argued, ad hominem, crude, or simply careless posts. I
advise you to be on your guard to insure your posts do not fall into
any of these categories. And lest you think I am condescending to you,
let me assure you I *always* am on guard against my posts being any of
these things. We're all in this, together (buddha-l, America, this saha
world, etc.).

Sorry this post wasn't funny. This whole damn thread is emphatically
not funny. Not to any American paying attention to the climate of the
country. (Thanks, Timothy Cahill, for that link to CampusWatch. Yipes!)

Franz Metcalf