[Buddha-l] (no subject)

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Jun 1 08:20:31 MDT 2005

> Erik writes: "Not at all, Richard, I agree. I´m not in
> favour of a constructivist
> world, nor of solipsism. There has been an interesting
> discussion
> between Rorty and Eco about interpretation and the book is
> called ´Over
> interpretation´ if my memory serves me right."
=====================
Looks like I'd better get this book, too.
Joanna

Interpretation and Overinterpretation (Tanner Lectures in Human Values)
by Umberto Eco, Jonathan Culler (Contributor), Richard Rorty (Contributor),
Christine Brooke-Rose (Contributor), Stefan Collini (Editor)

Cambridge University Press (1992)
 ISBN: 0521425549

Editorial Reviews

>From Library Journal
Semioticist Eco and three scholars debate whether there are limits to the
interpretations of a text and whether the author's intentions are relevant.
Eco seeks to limit the degree to which texts can be interpreted, explains
how overinterpretations can be recognized based on the intention of the
work, and argues that the author of the text can rule out some
interpretations. Rorty, a pragmatist, feels that texts should be able to be
used for the readers' own purposes. Jonathan Culler, a literary theorist,
defends "overinterpretation," and critic Christine Brook-Rose digresses
slightly by discussing what she calls "palimpsest history." In the final
lecture, Eco responds to Rorty's assertions. This is high-level literary
theory, expressed brilliantly, appropriate primarily for academic and large
public libraries.
- Ann Irvine, Kensington Park Lib., Md.
Copyright 1992