[Buddha-l] Re: fundamentalism

Bshmr at aol.com Bshmr at aol.com
Mon Jul 4 14:59:09 MDT 2005

>>>{Bshmr}: Now, in my third year of being held-over in a Buddhist
Kindergarten.

>>{StormyTet}: Everything we need to know we learned in Kindergarten?

>{Richard.P.Hayes}: No wonder I'm so damn ignorant. I never went to
Kindergarten.

Well, I have not gotten used to it; I started late, taking refuge decades
ago. Now, it matters that I struggle with the basic-basics. *g*

>{Richard.P.Hayes}: Speaking of education, I'm curious whether anyone knows
of any Buddhists who have gotten on the home-schooling bandwagon.

I was hanging out with three organized 3-D sanghas and don't recall anyone
home-schooling. One couple did home-school a child who was recovering from burns
for a while but even in that case the lessons were coordinated with her
natural public school.

Though it seems that I am acquainted with some who do home-school, they are
not formally Buddhist or otherwise 'together'.

Because I see socialization as primary in USAn schooling, I expect all
Buddhist parents to supplement institutional training with personal instruction and
example -- ie. quality time. A certain hubris and repulsion govern those who
do home-school, IMO.

Another thought comes to mind. Post-election in the USA, there was talk of an
extra-suburban elite which tended to home-school. The values of that group
would clash with most here, I summize. (Some descriptives should still be
online.)

IMNSHO, The home-schooling thing epitomizes a great flaw in the modern USA --
the myth and encouragement of 'extreme individualism'.

Richard Basham -- aka rbb   Make noise, leave sign; or, not.  @1986