[Buddha-l] Re: fundamentalism

Bshmr at aol.com Bshmr at aol.com
Sat Jul 2 15:05:11 MDT 2005

>{StormyTet at aol.com}: Almost all of this is due to one issue: homosexuality.
>
>I am not sure about this. I have been showing "Black Is Black Aint", a film

In the early 1970s, I worked in the Kansas SOB (State Office Building) around
civil rights and welfare activists. Homosexuality, particularly among black
males, was a more polarizing issue than 'salt and pepper' both of which were
seen as reducing the pool of desirable black males for desirable black females.
'Jet' magazine and other publications ran features on this, as well as the
culturally enforced matriarchy and poverty, etc. I recall coworkers frothing
about both.

For the women, both the homosexual and mixed (race) coupling by black males
was a devastating blow, far worse than being paid less than white women (who
were paid less than white men) for example.

BTW, it also opened a few running sores about white men exploiting and
abusing black women -- the internalized history of which was a load for delightful,
intelligent Alice (more so than others).

That said, 'faith' had less influence than 'history' and 'dreams'.

Richard Basham, aka rbb.  Now, in my third year of being held-over in a
Buddhist Kindergarten.