[Buddha-l] The religious practice of going after someone's job--India/USA

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Fri Jul 1 11:11:49 MDT 2005

This suggests to me why I have the impression that Buddhists in India
maintain a low profile except when they are having gigantic meetings with
the aim of converting dalits, etc.
Also, I don't know to what extent members of the FWBO in India are actively
working for social justice, either--activity that is getting daily more
dangerous. But one new twist is that Indian Hindutva organizations are big
in the USA, and so they can pursue people to the extent of trying to get
them fired from their jobs, as noted in this article (and see following
article for a quote from her institution's head). They have learned what
kinds of charges go down well with certain US religio-political groups,
too--if you get my drift:

>From news article ,
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1156238.cms

...Last week, in an open letter sent to Chatterji's boss at the California
Institute of Integral Studies, endorsed by 469 members of a newly formed
group called Citizens Insisting on Integrity in Scholarship (a name formed
by using the first letters of the school's name), one person wrote: "Angana
Chatterji comes from a long line of pseudo-secularists who have learnt to
farm the fear of minority communities for their own personal advancement."

Another called her "a hate-mongering communist," while yet another said:
"The California Institute of Integral Studies has been the center of
political propaganda in the name of 'anthropological activism' for quite
some time."  ...
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/06/23/MNG7ADDAE11.DTL
...At the California Institute of Integral Studies, on Mission Street near
Civic Center, Joseph Subbiondo, the school's president, called Chatterji "an
amazing teacher whose students deeply respect her.''
He said he was concerned about her security.
"She could be here in cool San Francisco, but she's over there in hot India
really pushing for the people," he said. ........
Joanna