[Buddha-l] Unicode (WORD 2004, etc.) issues

Stuart Ray Sarbacker s-sarbacker at northwestern.edu
Thu Dec 29 12:48:36 MST 2005

Dear All,

Elizabeth Callahan suggested that opening the custom dictionary in
Wordpad and saving it as a unicode text document solved the problems
with adding Unicode in windows versions of WORD. I tried the same
solution on the Mac by opening the custom dictionary with TextEdit,
and saving it as a Unicode UTF-16 document (UTF-8 did not work) and
it appears to have largely solved the problem (I can add romanized
Sanskrit terms with diacritics to the custom dictionary saving
inestimable time).

Many thanks to Elizabeth for this.

Now I feel much better about those two wasted hours on hold with
Microsoft listening to what was possibly the worst "muzak" I have
ever been forced to listen to!

As for general Unicode support on Mac, as far as I am aware, most
people are using either the U of Washington Gandhari Unicode font or
the Times Extended Roman font, and the Easyunicode Keyboard (which
makes typing with Unicode fonts a breeze, esp. in WORD). Links to
these fonts and keyboards can be found at:

http://www.thdl.org/tools/diafonts.html
http://depts.washington.edu/ebmp/software.php

Best Wishes,
Stuart