[Buddha-l] crazy wisdom

ralf.steckel at online.ms ralf.steckel at online.ms
Tue Dec 6 06:41:53 MST 2005

-begin snip

> Hmm.  Whatever Bowie's interest in Buddhism is, this seems unlikely.  Bowie
> was born in 1947 and lived with his parents in Bromley, nr London, until he
> was 18.  According to at least one source, he first visited the States in
> 1971.
>

> Best,
>
> Steve Hopkins
-end snip

Dear Buddhist discussion forum,

because the discussion about 'crazy wisdoms' meanwhile includes comments about the influence of buddhist teachings to contemporary and not too long passed away Pop Culture i hope my request is not completely off-topic...

Is Ken Goffman's/Dan Joy's book 'Counter Culture through the Ages'/'From Abraham to Acid House' suitable to fresh up an 'Old European's ' knowledge about the anglo-saxon and especially the US american Pop Culture of the Sixties and Seventies?

Tanks in advance,

Ralf

---

Contents:

Foreword by Timothy Leary

Preface by Dan Joy

Dis/Orientation by R. U. Sirius
PART I: THE MAKINGS OF COUNTERCULTURES
CHAPTER ONE
ABRAHAM AND PROMETHEUS: Mythic Counterculture Rebels
CHAPTER TWO
A DIFFERENT TYPE OF HUMAN EXCELLENCE: Defining Counterculture
PART II: ACROSS THE SPAN OF TIMES AND PLACES
CHAPTER THREE
POLITICALLY INCORRECT: Socrates and the Socratic Counterculture
CHAPTER FOUR
LEAP INTO THE BOUNDLESS: Taoism
CHAPTER FIVE
THE HAND THAT STOPPED THE MIND: The Zen Counterculture
CHAPTER SIX
LOVE AND EVOLUTION: The Occult Counterculture of the Sufis
CHAPTER SEVEN
REMAKING LOVE: The Troubadours and the Heretic Spirit of Provence
CHAPTER EIGHT
CULTURAL AND POLITICAL REVOLUTION: The Enlightenment of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries
CHAPTER NINE
TO EACH HIS OWN GOD: The American Transcendentalists
CHAPTER TEN
BRILLIANT STORMS OF LAUGHTER: Bohemian Paris, 1900 � 1940
PART III: AFTER HIROSHIMA, �THE� COUNTERCULTURE
CHAPTER ELEVEN
REBELS WITHOUT A CAUSE: The 1950s
CHAPTER TWELVE
WHEN YOU CHANGE WITH EVERY NEW DAY: The Youth Counterculture, 1960 - 1967
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
WILD IN THE STREETS: The Youth Counterculture, 1968 � 1972
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
THAT WHICH DOES NOT KILL ME MAKES ME HIPPER: The Hedonist/Nihilist Countercultures of the 1970s
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
GLOBAL. DIGITAL. DOOMED?: Counterculture Leans into the Future