[Buddha-l] Buddhist Bioethics

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Aug 31 14:38:07 MDT 2005

Having again read through Keown's analysis of the suttas and commentaries
around the Canna story, including various interpretations of the
term -anupavajja- where he concludes that it meant -not to be reborn- rather
than -blameless-, and how he finally concludes that the sutta's treatment of
this issue had much to do with the expected behavior of arhats, I was
persuaded that the Buddha in the Pali texts does not -condone- suicide.
http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma/suicide.html

However, I wish to note that a difference can be proposed as between some
suicides and other actions that are still deemed suicide in contemporary
idiomatic parlance but that are not occasioned by the intention to
self-destruct because of either desire, aversion, or delusion. These would
be instances where the body, or perhaps just the brain (which governs the
rest of the body anyway) itself, has already begun to die--IOW,  instances
of incurable illness.

I have in mind here the practice being resorted to by some elderly people
who have incurable disease, with death as the predicted end, who decide to
begin fasting with the aim of eventually ceasing to eat and drink
altogether. The reasons they give for this procedure are not singular, but
usually include compassion for others--usually kinfolk, usually only one
person in many cases, usually a daughter not a son--who would be forced by
circumstances to stand by and care for such patients, often for unknown
durations. They also include compassion for themselves, in that by pursuing
self-euthanasia they can maintain dignity and awareness until the end,
unlike what would happen if they sink into a vegetative state or develop
full-blown brain disease with senility.

Under such circumstances, to insist on ethical grounds on the medical
intervention of keeping the dying body alive as long as possible, or to
ethically condemn its dying other than by leaving it to its own devices,
strikes me as social torture. The instances of the illnesses occasioned by
the suicides found in the suttas do not tell the reader, of 2000 years
later, what precisely these monks suffered from nor do we know the extent if
any of the medical treatment that might have either restored them to health,
assuaged their pain, or kept them alive even though their bodies were
already dying.  Thus, I do not see how these cases, nor the Pali canon for
that matter, can literally be applied to contemporary situations of elderly
patients who are already dying but being kept alive on life support with the
postponement (not the elimination) of predicted death, i.e., for whom there
is no cure.

The industrial culture that we live in is highly stressful to the working
population. To stick our societies and their still working kinfolk with the
deficits entailed by endless maintainance of the life of patients who have
lived their lives, have incurable illnesses, and are ready to die strikes me
as unwarranted on any basis. IMO contemporary, or "modern Buddhism" as it's
sometimes called, should not condemn such people as unethical and or
delusional, nor should society for that matter. The delusions about this
situation reside in the society, not in the courageous people who say, it's
time to go.

Joanna