[Buddha-l] Buddhist Bioethics

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 31 13:32:30 MDT 2005

Hugo schreef:

>Hello Erik,
>
>On 8/26/05, Erik Hoogcarspel <jehms at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>

>>Well, appearently the messages are contradictory like in any decent
>>religion. I had the Channovadasutta in mind (Majjhimanikaya 144). Channa
>>is suffering from a disease and the Buddha accepts his euthanasia. There
>>are articles about suicide in Buddhism at
>>http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma/suicide.html
>>

>I skimmed through the above link and found this:
>
>" By taking the key term anupavajja in the way suggested by the
>commentary, which I think fits the context well, the Buddha's
>concluding remark becomes not an exoneration of suicide but a
>clarification of the meaning of an ambiguous word in a context which
>has nothing to do with ethics."
>

>>Kaccano (or Kaccayana) tells the Buddha that he
>>wants to return to his homeland (near Mumbai). And the Buddha warns him
>>for attacks at his person. Kaccano answers that he would'nt mind because
>>if that would happen he would have met his arhantkiller.
>>

>I don't see how that is an approval for suicide.

It is not. But it suggests that at least some arhants didn't mind to
lose their lives. Suicide in itself of course is not something one would
recommend. It's absurd to say that suicide is always good, but that
doesn't mean that there's no case where it can be accepted as the lesser
evil. It can be a sacrifice to save the lives of others, but is also can
be a way to rum away from problems. I think this is also the case with
euthanasia. I'm not convinced by the article and I don't share the
authors positive opinion about Christianity, because he's not aware of
the differences between Catholicism and different Protestant churches on
this point.  I think there's reason enough to suspect that in some
circles suicide was considered an option in extreme circumstances. By
the way I think that it's useless to construct an apodictic statement
that represents THE point of view of Buddhism. I think one should be
open to the discussions and disagreements between different groups and
schools.
The startingpoint of this discussion was, if I remember well, the
question whether there are Buddhist arguments in favour of euthanasia. I
think there are some, but maybe they're not convincing enough for everybody.
If your read http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/geth0401.pdf you see that
intentionally killing always seems to leave bad karma, but I would add
there can be a reason to accept this bad karma out of compassion.

--

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms