[Buddha-l] What's wrong with a little Dharma?

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Aug 30 14:42:19 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 15:36 -0400, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> As the latter piece shows, it will be hard to stuff this genie back in
> the bottle easily, since they are ready for another Civil War (don't
> let the euphemism of "secede from the Union" fool you -- that's code
> for what got the last War Between the States started).

One of the most tragic mistakes made by the founding fathers of the USA
was incorporating the southern states, and especially South Carolina,
into the confederacy. By far the most vocal and persistent advocates of
slavery, fully sanctioned by references to the Bible (which they
pronounce Babble) were Senators and ministers from South Carolina. The
blunder of the founding fathers was compounded by Lincoln, who kept the
south in the union. I can't think of many problems that would not be
ameliorated by allowing the south to secede from the union. Indeed, I
think the time may have come to show Bubba the door.

All seriousness aside, that LA times piece is pretty sobering, although
nothing in it is news to those of us who have been keeping our ears and
eyes open for the past thirty years or so.

--
Richard Hayes
***