[Buddha-l] Dharma Ending Age

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 29 01:53:26 MDT 2005

Bernie Simon schreef:

> A common lament in Buddhist texts is how we are now in the end times
> of the dharma, when genuine teaching has all but disappeared. I was
> wondering what the earliest text was with this complaint. The earliest
> I know of is the Abhidharmakosha. Does anyone know any earlier text?

This is slightly off topic, but maybe interesting enough. In the
Vajracchedika it says that after the period of 500 years, when the
dharma will be forgotten, there will be bodhisattvas, but they will not
follow just one buddha, but many. I always found this a remarkable
passage. Was this a consequence of foresight, or was there perhaps a
discussion at the time about this topic?

> ----
> Mahamudra does not dice up reality
> with the knife of logic. -- KKR

How could it? This line is a clear example of confusion caused by metaphors. Do you really think that a logical proof that rain is impossible will change the weather? Unless you're Aristotle of course who thought logic to be a reflection of reality or rather the other way around.

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms