[Buddha-l] Zen War Guilt/Zen and the Sword

d f tweney dylan at tweney.com
Fri Aug 26 10:26:13 MDT 2005

At the risk of veering off-topic, I am wondering whether anyone has
considered older, Chinese connections between Buddhism and military /
state power. It seems clear that the kinds of militarization of Zen that
happened in Japan also happened in China, perhaps at a very early stage.
For instance, even a passing acquaintance with Chinese martial arts
reveals abundant connections between Buddhism and the martial arts (cf.
Shaolin temple), many of which were employed in decidedly non-peaceful
ways.

The problem is that many of these connections are obviously mythologized
to a high degree, and I don't have the scholarly expertise to figure out
what has some basis in historical fact and what doesn't. I'd welcome
pointers to any good sources on the subject.

At any rate, my point is that fusing Buddhism and militarism may not be a
strictly Japanese invention.

--dylan.

Dylan Tweney    dylan at tweney.com

mag:  http://www.mobilepcmag.com