[Buddha-l] life force vis a vis Buddhism

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sat Aug 20 12:44:46 MDT 2005

Has anyone seen the film, _March of the Penguins_ or _la Marche des
Empereurs_, a French documentary that is having a big fling in the USA? I
just saw it and was stunned by the implications of these annual penguin
processions, in the harshest climatic zone on earth, to perpetuate their
genetic material. It made me wonder if Edward O. Wilson was right--that
reproduction of genetic material among species is what fundamentally moves
the cosmos, at least the one we live in. That animal beings colonized this
harsh zone and never tried to move off of it prompts me to wonder at the
power of the "life force", a.k.a. genetic reproduction.

I'm usually not into metaphysics, I resist it in Buddhist literature. But
where both paticca-samuppada or the three poisons could almost stand as
metaphysical principles, these are moralized concepts, whereas genetic
reproduction is not. This life force, according to Wilson (_The Future of
Life_) requires biodiversity, which is disappearing rapidly. How long can
those penguins survive on an Antarctic that is melting off? Are they just
another canary in the mine? For a while will their march be easier? How will
a faster reproduction cycle affect other aspects of their physiology and
survival?

According to the Pali texts the Buddha refused to speculate on such matters,
he had more sense than I do at the moment, but he was not faced with rapidly
and universally disappearing trees, land, species, water, soil, clean air.

Any ideas, folks?
Joanna