[Buddha-l] Buddhist Bioethics

John Chamberlin jchamberl at COX.NET
Sat Aug 20 06:10:13 MDT 2005

Buddhist Bioethics:  If I might impose on the group on a matter of
Buddhism and bioethics, I think it might be useful in helping us
resolve a difficult bioethics case. I work as a clinical social
worker on a palliative care team at a large community hospital in
California. I’m also a member of the bioethics committee at this
hospital and a practicing Buddhist. We currently have a case that has
been referred to the committee by the attending physician. The
patient is an 82 year old, Vietnamese female who is in a vegetative
state as a consequence of several massive strokes. She’s on a
ventilator and all the other life-prolonging technology that might be
expected.  She’s been living at a nursing home for the past three
years. In the opinion of the physicians attending the patient she has
no chance at recovery, or even in recovering to any extent that might
improve her quality of life.  This patient is on a feeding tube of
course, and consistently aspirates her food causing pneumonia and
frequent, repeated hospitalizations among other medical complications
common to patients in vegetative states.

  The patient as well as her large, multi-generational family are
Buddhist. The attending physician referred her to the committee,
because the family continues to insist that all life-prolonging
measures and hospitalizations be continued, despite the fact that the
patient is slowly declining in health, and despite the fact that she
will never regain consciousness. Repeated CT and MRI scans of her
brain have shown terrible and irreparable brain damage as a result of
her strokes. The attending physician’s ethics are compromised,
because he must continue to provide futile care (as defined as
medical care which has no chance in restoring the patient to any
measure of health) at the dictates of the patient’s family, and the
patient is suffering greatly as a consequence of the situation. The
patient has no signed advance directive as to her own wishes, so the
physician, by California state law, must follow the wishes of the
next-of-ken.

The family continually sites that their Buddhist ethics prohibits
withdrawing the patient from the life-prolonging technology. The
family is aware that the patient is suffering and is essentially
being tortured by her caregivers as her life continues to be
prolonged by technology.

In my layman’s understanding of the Eightfold Path, behaving in ways
that will directly cause the suffering of another being is to be
avoided? I realize that this case is more complicated than this, but
perhaps this is a good place to start. What is the stance of Orthodox
Buddhist ethics in this case, and is there anything any one can add
that might help us resolve this sad situation?

Thank you,

Jack Chamberlin