[Buddha-l] sanskrit self-study

Richard P. Hayes Richard.P.Hayes at comcast.net
Thu Aug 11 12:51:57 MDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 12:16 -0400, curt wrote:

> Speaking of introductory Sanskrit textbooks with Sanskrit
> names - does anyone have anything to say about Samskrta
> Subodhini by Madhav Deshpande??

I have never seen that particular text, but I have read several things
by Deshpande. He explains things very clearly, so I would expect his
book to be first rate. Also good, but a little cumbersome to use, is
Ashok Aklujkar's textbook, which comes with tapes. Deshpande and
Aklujkar are both phenomenal Sanskritists. They both began learning when
they were toddlers and have been friends and rivals all the way through
their lives. You couldn't go wrong using a textbook written by either
one of them.

--
Richard Hayes