[Buddha-l] Re: Facts, Values, and a book a year... [was Hindu Fundamentalism]

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Tue Aug 9 13:57:28 MDT 2005

Until westerners entered the fray, Buddhist scholarship has
historically been based on the practice of memorizing texts word
for word in their entirety. This was also part of the western
intellectual tradition up through at least the Renaissance - I'm
not sure when it became unfashionable. To memorize a text
would strike many people as being completely different from
what Richard (Nance) is here describing - the slow process of
actually understanding the text. But memorization could be a
great aid to this understanding - because it allows one to literally
"hold" the entire text in one's mind - and to go back and forth
from one part of it to another to another at will - at the speed of
thought. Or so it seems to me - I've never memorized a whole
book - I couldn't even memorize "The Raven" in fifth grade,
although I tried for about a week. Like most westerners I have
held "mere" memorization in low regard until recently. I started
changing my mind when I started reading "The Art of Memory"
by Frances Yates - I was struck by the fact that I had never heard
of "The Art of Memory", and that this was part of the western
intellectual tradition that has been completely lost. I never finished
the book, btw - its quite dense, at least for me. But its still on my
"to read" list.
- Curt