[Buddha-l] Hindu Fundamentalism

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at adelphia.net
Mon Aug 8 10:29:30 MDT 2005

It seems to me that whenever a religion makes an empirical claim, this
is in the realm of science.
"The universe was created in six days" is an empirical claim.
It seems to me that whenever a religion makes a value claim, this is not
in the realm of science.
"The universe is good."

To the extent that religions offer testable arguments for the existence
of a deity, to that extent it is scientific.
I think it is correct to assert that there is no empirical evidence for
the existence of any deity.

To bring it back to Buddhism, consider "Mt. Meru is the center of the
universe." This is a tough one. Is it intended to be empirical or a
value judgment? In an expanding universe, is every point the center?
Bob Zeuschner
Dept. of Philosophy