[Buddha-l] Hindu Fundamentalism

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Sun Aug 7 17:31:41 MDT 2005

The kind of science that we are talking about is not capable of
asking - let alone answering - questions that have to do with
the nature - let alone the existence - of Gods. Specific claims
made by the more low-brow literalist crowd, are, or course,
fair game. But that's shooting fish in a barrell, and has nothing
to do with genuine, serious Theological questions. The existence
or non-existence of Gods is a perfectly legitimate target of
philosophical investigation - but "science" which demands
reproducible observations and so forth - is only intended to
ask and answer questions about physical reality. Now as soon
as someone makes a claim about a God that has to do with
reproducible observable physical events - then one can pose
the question of whether or not there is any "scientific evidence"
for or against such a claim. But the claim of the existence of
Gods is not, on its own, subject to scientific proof or disproof.

For example: can you describe an experiment which can be
conducted to test for the existence of Ram and/or Krishna?
Gods are notoriously difficult to nail down - one person's
conception of Krishna is quite different from someone else's.
The Krishna described in the Bhagavad Gita is very different
from the one described in the Bhagavad Purana - but neither
text presents us with anything that would lend itself to designing
an experiment to test for the existence of Krishna.

As far as observability goes, people "observe" Gods all the time.
These observations are inconsistent and irreproducible - no doubt
about that. But that only shows to go you (as we used to say back
in Indiana) that this is not the kind of the thing that science can
help you with.

- Curt