[Buddha-l] Re: Hindu Fundamentalism

Bshmr at aol.com Bshmr at aol.com
Sun Aug 7 14:04:35 MDT 2005

Stormy,

Last fall, a local eclectic dharma/meditation study group concentrated on
Wilbur's the 'Best of Ken Wilbur' plus added exercises/recordings selected from
the Integral Naked website. Although I had been a faithful regular, I found
something else to do very quickly.

I found Wilbur's writing to remind me of the 'ecstatic' school of meditation,
more akin to poetry along the lines of Rumi, or New Age and USAn Republican
motivational. That is, I notice the manipulative and emotional nature
dominates, with facts scarce and preachy interpretations characteristic of
fundamentalism. Reading or listening made for a revealing 'labeling meditation'.

Then, there were the recordings which were heavily psycho-theraputic and
work-shop-esque. In light of your comments vis a vis psychotherapy, I will say
that his saying/writing must diverge from his heavily laden doing. I recall
someone once saying that the content of a psychotherapist's publications often
deviated from what the therapist actually did so that the conscientious
practitioner not only read but observed their mentor (or popular hero of the moment).

For what it is worth (FWIW), I know others, with differing given names, who
feel similarly put off by Wilbur.

Richard Basham