[Buddha-l] From Hans Gruenig

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Fri Aug 5 12:18:26 MDT 2005

proxy postingSubject: Buddhist Non-Dual Awareness Reading Recommendations

Greetings,

I teach a course on Buddhism (with a "Meditation Lab" and a fair amout of
emphasis on the experiential) for the Philosophy Department at Tulane
University, and I recently attended retreats with Richard Miller and
Adyashanti that focused on recognizing, abiding in, and embodying non-dual
awareness.  For years I've focused on vipassana, samatha, and metta
meditation in my classes, but I'd like to incorporate some non-dual
awareness texts, meditations, and teachings.  I asked Richard if he knew of
any accessible and inspiring texts on this topic in the Buddhist traditions
(Dzogchen? Zen?), but he only knew of classics like Longchempa's writings
(such as the beautiful "THE PRECIOUS TREASURY OF THE BASIC SPACE OF
PHENOMENA"), of which I was aware, but was not certain that they would be
appropriate for my purposes.  I'd love to find contemporary texts that are,
perhaps, the Buddhist-non-dual-awareness-discourse-equivalent of Lama Surya
Das's "Awakening the Buddha Within" or Gunaratana's "Mindfulness in Plain
English" -- that is, something clear, accessible, inspiring, poignant,
evocative, practice oriented, non-sectarian, and not heavily laden with
cultural trappings.  Do you have any book, article, chapter, or other
recommendations?

Many thanks,
-Hans Gruenig.