[Buddha-l] liturgical languages]

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Thu Apr 28 09:58:10 MDT 2005

> I recall reading some time ago that the Buddha did not want his monks to
> chant rhythmically and melodically lest people get them confused with
> brahmans. Probably he would give other reasons nowadays. Now he would
> probably say he doesn't want his disciples chanting mantras lest people
> get them confused with new age space cadets.
>
> --
> Richard Hayes
Well, I'm glad that the monks I heard chanting in Kalaw, Burma, up on pagoda
hill, who sounded like the music of gandharvas from the heavens, were
insufficiently worried about getting attached to the sound of their own
voices that the effects could be appreciated from afar----by me (among any
others who may have been near), as I sat spellbound on the stairs going up
the hill, while the abbot resplendent in a red robe and carrying a long
staff strode out to the edge of the hill to survey the world below.
Joanna