[Buddha-l] liturgical languages

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Apr 28 09:47:06 MDT 2005

It seems clear from this that the history of the use of liturgical
languages is very
different in Buddhism than it was in Latin Christendom. In Latin
Christendom the
use of a liturgical language was combined with a very clear policy of NOT
allowing the sacred scriptures to be translated into the vernacular. In
Theravada
and other Asian forms of Buddhism the liturgical language is used not to
obscure the Dharma, but rather because it is felt to have "ritual
effectiveness",
as well as other reasons. But this was done in parallel with making the
sacred
texts accessible to those without knowledge of Pali (better yet - it was
done in
such a way as to make at least some knowledge of Pali available to
everyone).
I see no reason why we can't do the same thing in the West.

I think that a lot of the resistance that many westerners have to the
use of Buddhist
liturgical languages stems from inappropriately projecting our own dark
history of
religious thought control (in Latin Christendom) onto Buddhism. And for
those
of us in North America and Europe we should be careful about the assumptions
we make about "our own" culture. Should we have linguistically segregated
congregations so that everyone gets to chant in "their own" language? In
virtually
every Western society there are linguistic minorities (sometimes quite
large, like
the Spanish speaking population in the US), and so if Buddhist groups insist
on chanting in "our own language" - and by this we mean, for example in the
US, English - then we are perpetuating a wrong headed idea of our own
cutlture,
an idea that ignores the real linguistic and ethnic diversity of the US.
Such a
consdiration might very well be part of the reason for the use of
liturgical
languages in Asian Buddhism, come to think of it.

- Curt