[Buddha-l] liturgical languages

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Thu Apr 28 07:09:47 MDT 2005

In a message dated 4/27/05 4:22:28 PM Central Daylight Time,
curt at cola.iges.org writes:

>That  is precisely what the Buddha warned against. When people  became
>intrigued with the sound, they fail to focus on the meanings of  the
>words. This is why he forbade chanting.

=====
Do you have a canonical reference for this statement?

I have used chanting while practicing in several Buddhist traditions.
Meaning was never important. Staying mindful of the sound and what else was
happening was. I was taught to use the sound as object of meditation just as  foot
sensations and the breath were objects of meditation in walking and sitting
meditation respectively.

Jack

Jack