[Buddha-l] liturgical languages

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Apr 27 16:20:24 MDT 2005

Are you saying that Theravadin Buddhists do not chant in a foreign
language (ie, Pali)? This was what I thought I was talking about.
Or are you saying that Pali should not be considered a foreign language
by Theravadins? Now I am confused. As far as I can tell, there is little
difference among the various "Asian Buddhist" schools on this point.
The phenomenon of a "liturgical language" seems, to me (and please
correct me if I am wrong) a general phenomenon among all of the
major Buddhist groups in Asia. And I happen to think that this is a
positive thing, and something that "Western" Buddhist should carefully
consider before tossing the baby out with the bath water. I don't want
to find Western Buddhists singing dreary Buddhist Hyms to the accompaniment
of an organ (this frightening practice has already been adopted by the
Chogye Order in Korea - in a misguided, in my opinion, bid to better
compete with the Christians).
- Curt