[Buddha-l] liturgical languages

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Apr 27 16:10:23 MDT 2005

F.K. Lehman (F.K.L. Chit Hlaing) wrote:

> Two things,if I may. (1) Let us not forget that Buddhism is from
> India, and the Indic tradition, back to Vedic times apparently,
> includes the idea that there is a sort of cosmic (magical?) power or,
> if you want, ritual effectiveness to the very syllables of a Skt/Pali
> chan, and to their correct pronunciation. This certainly is essential
> background to the stuff being argued about here.

I would like to know much more about the practice of chanting in the
ealiest forms of
Buddhism. I am also extremely interested in the general phenomenon of
"magical ideas"
in early Buddhism. There is a fascinating looking book called "Haunting
the Buddha:
Indian Popular Religion and the Formation of Buddhism" by Robert
Decaroli, which
is precisely about this. Has anyone on this list read it?

- Curt