[Buddha-l] FYI---------Summer South Asia languages study

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Fri Apr 22 21:32:44 MDT 2005

Dear Colleagues:

I would like to draw your attention once again to the South Asia language offerings of the South Asia Summer Language Institute, organized by the US Department of Education Title VI National Resource Centers and hosted by the University of Wisconsin. See: http://www.wisc.edu/sasli/

We offer eleven languages this summer, all on the elementary level and most on the intermediate level, and a couple of languages on the advanced level. Instruction is the equivalent of two college semesters in eight weeks of FLAS-designated contact hours for both graduates and undergraduates. All courses are taught by language faculty (mainly professors) with full time assistants. Languages this year--and into the foreseeable future--include 10 vernaculars and Sanskrit (first year only):

First year level offerings:
Bengali/Bangla, Gujarati, Hindi, Malayalam, Marathi, Nepali, Sanskrit, Tamil, Telugu, Tibetan, and Urdu

Second year level offerings:
Bengali/Bangla, Gujarati, Hindi, Marathi, Nepali, Tamil, Telugu, Tibetan, and Urdu

Third year level offerings:
Nepali, Tibetan

If you are interested in Second year Sanskrit, check the University of Chicago for offerings:
http://salc.uchicago.edu/

The program fee is $2700, but a negotiated remission is possible for some of the smaller enrollment classes and based on need, especially for undergraduates. The cost of living is estimated to be considerably less than the program fee. Details are available on the website.

IT IS NOT TOO LATE TO HAVE YOUR STUDENTS APPLY FOR SUMMER 2005. We will accept applications for another few weeks.

All the best,
tony

Tony K. Stewart
Executive Director and Chair of the Board of Trustees
South Asia Summer Language Institute
&
Professor of South Asian Religions
Department of Philosophy and Religion