[Buddha-l] Taoist-Tibetan connection

Nyigmu at wmconnect.com Nyigmu at wmconnect.com
Fri Apr 22 11:55:23 MDT 2005

I pondered this, and apologize for not still possessing my Taoist Texts for
reference.

There are external physical form Taoist water-wheel yogis (there is an
unimportant Taoist text out there that has the images) that are strikingly similar
to a few of the esoteric dzogchen yogis described and depicted in the 'Dali
Lamas Secret Temple Paintings.'  One of those Tibetan yogis may be depicted in
the 'Yogis of Tibet' video.  The 'Tibetan Book of Yoga'  give one an idea as to
what  are most likely the inner and secret meditations of those yogis. But
there are also Indian yogis that are form similar to Tibetan yogis, but the
internal mahayana aspect of compassionate vow to benefit all beings appears to be
missing in both the Indian and Toaist yogis.

The Taoist water wheel meditation is very different from the Tibetan High
Yogis.  Though it is like its Indian counter part indealing with root
energy-kundalini, winds, channels, and drops.  As the momentum of Indian Yoga and Taoist
water wheel is at the muladahara chakra).  The terminology to correlate these
things from Taoist to Tibetan will be difficult to glean from textual
references.  I have had reference from 2 Taoist yoga practitioners (both receiving
their teachings in Asia) to the waterwheel practice involving the kundalini
traveling up the centerline and into a frontal meridian.  This practice also
invokes wind or pranayama yoga's.  The application of this is very different in High
Yoga.

The waterwheel or microcosimic orbit may be a connection between the center
line and the meridian the kundalini yogi's (see KundaliniVidiya the Science of
Spiritual Transformation only available via internet) call the tenth door. The
kundalini yogis also describe 4 levels to the center line, where the rarest
of yogis reaches the center of the center. The water wheel is said to have
small openings to the chakras at the back and larger at the front meridian.  The
esoteric teachings do not operate in any of the side channels.   The Taoist
like the Indian aquires/creates an immortal body.  In this case Indian bhagavan
(bhaga here meaning vagina) means human born deity.  The yogi or Taoist attains
the siddhas and immortality.  Though in both cases madness is known to occur.
 For the Taoist if the orbit is not closed with the tongue on the roof of the
mouth the energy gathering in the crown leads to great instability.  The
bhagavans death is only incurred by decapitation. For the Hindu deities such as
Shiva and Vishnu madness was said to occur at the end of every incarnation.

The Devaputt texts on the Hindu deities are very simple and clear.  The
shavite tantras are entirely dependent on the kundalini opening the chakras.
Specifically by the kundalini of the deity consort.  There is interesting reference
by Bernard in Chinnamastra of Shatki's emanating 10 wrathful selves when mad
at Shiva, and her Lalita form emanates the playful seductive goddess.  The
only Taoist text I'm familiar with that shows emanation is the Golden Flower.
There are also Taoist references to a true human wearing rags and emanating
light when he opens his mouth and eyes.  It may be difficult to differentiate what
is original Taoist teaching and Buddhist Taoist fusion in contemporary
translations.

There is a line in the History of Chinese Philosophy text about the Yu
(umlaut u) ever being present in the Wu.  Wu being the original emptiness.  Yu
translating as substantiality.  This draws an association with High Yoga statements
of clarity or luminosity being present in emptiness. Though I suspect that
the void for Taoists may often be more related to the great 'meditative
absorptions' .

The biggest differences I found between Taoism and High Yoga was that the
Buddhist is practicing for the rupakaya (emerging from the dharmakaya) to benefit
all beings. This the heart of the mahayana doctrine.  The Taoist is simply
seeking self immortality in harmonizing with the primordial energy of the
universe. If his Yu is Buddha nature he then becomes liken to a solitary realizer,
still obscured. And unable to operate in 6-infinite realms.  Similarly the
Indian yogi is working with kundalini, winds, channels and drops for his own end
of union with god.  Clearly the Taoists and Indian yogi both achieve nirvana
(extinguishing the winds that the concepts ride upon) operating in the realm of
kundalini, drops and rivers (nadis).

Stating it simply due to his compassionate vow and the lineage blessing of
dharma transfer (water to water) or anointment, the Buddhist realizes the
ability of his empty mind to spontaneously generate empty form. This original nature
leading to 'nirvana without remainder.'  If the Taoist or Indian yogi were
able to do this they would be Buddhist.  I would suggest doing a triad
comparison (using the Indian yogic system as well) as my physics teacher said that when
making inferences 3 points pointing to a conclusion was reasonable.