[Buddha-l] RE: Moment of individuation

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Apr 18 13:10:52 MDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 14:10 +0100, Alex Powell wrote:

> Richard, I say there is one "framework" that must be accepted as
> "absolute", as reality and must be universally accepted either
> explicitly or implicitly as the RIGHT way;

Incidentally, in his talk of frameworks, Charles Taylor claims that part
of what it means to work within a framework is that one thinks of that
framework as better than all others. So if one works within a
pluralistic framework, one thinks of that as better than operating
within an exclusive traditionalist framework. If one works within a
traditionalist Catholic framework, one sees that as better than working
within a traditionalist Islamic framework, and so forth. So you are off
to a good start by announcing that you think there is one that must be
accepted as absolute.

It sounds as though, from what you say next, that the traditional
framework you accept is one that comes in the flavor known as Mahayana
Buddhism.

May you use your chosen framework in good health.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy