[Buddha-l] Moment of individuation

Stanley J. Ziobro II ziobro at wfu.edu
Wed Apr 13 18:15:07 MDT 2005

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Lawrence K. Starner wrote:

> > A soul is simply the actualizing principle of individuation that
> > determines any particular creature to be what it is.
> >
> > Stan Ziobro
>
>   Your statement describes the genetic function in a zygote, which is
> inherited.  I think the soul is simply a comforting concept invented by
> humans wishing for some form of immortality.

Matter itself does not function; just look at a stone.  Whatever it is
that brings about life, movement, growth, psychic functioning, and
intelligence is an organizing principle that cannot be reduced to chemical
bonds, etc.  With regard to your second statement, I take that to be your
opinion.

Regards,

Stan Ziobro