[Buddha-l] Moment of individuation

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Apr 13 14:07:10 MDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 15:18 -0400, Stanley J. Ziobro II wrote:

> A soul is simply the actualizing principle of individuation that
> determines any particular creature to be what it is.

So it is what the Nyāya-Vaiśeṣika folks called a viśeṣa? As I recall,
the idea of a viśeṣa is precisely the same: an individuating principle
that makes each individual distinct from every other individual, even if
it belongs to the same class and has similar features to the others from
which it is distinguished.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy