[Buddha-l] Buddhist Summer Camp?

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 7 19:37:45 MDT 2005

Gang,

Thanks to Bernie Simon and Jeff Wilson for the recommendations. I've
sent them on to the father who asked.

Interesting that, given the huge American interest in summer camp,
there are so few Buddhist offerings. One might expect roughly 1% of
camps to be Buddhist-inspired or influenced. Doesn't look that way once
you begin looking. It looks instead as if mainly it's the convert
Buddhists who are into the summer camp thing--a legacy of their
European-American cultural roots, no doubt. Jeff's Chinese-American
BAUS camp suggestion provides an exception to this rule, but I can't
find out on the site if it's up and running this year. I can comment
that Japanese-American teen Buddhists can't be bothered with summer
camp: they are too busy playing in basketball tournaments. Go figure.

Again thanks,

Franz Metcalf