[Buddha-l] Re: Silence, conservatism and JPII

Stanley J. Ziobro II ziobro at wfu.edu
Thu Apr 7 10:46:33 MDT 2005

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Richard P. Hayes wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 09:15 -0400, Stanley J. Ziobro II wrote:
>
> > What of his explicit and serious reservations about American-style
> > capitalism as an untenable economic vehicle for justice? Does that,
> > according to your method of reducing the man to his actions, thereby
> > make him a liberal?
>
> According to the title of a book being read by the many-tattooed large-
> biceped savage-looking man sitting with his arm around an unnatural
> blond in a skin-tight sweater in the waiting room of the bone doctor I
> saw today, if the pope was a liberal, then he had a mental disorder.
>
> While ordering your copy of Michael Savage's "Liberalism is a mental
> disorder: Savage solutions," you may want to pick up a bumper sticker
> (also available, along with the book, from Amazon.com) that says
> "Liberalism is a disease." Or you might just want to go directly to
> Michael Savage's web site and buy a "Liberalism is a mental disorder"
> coffee mug or T-shirt. (Alas, I saw no books on Buddhism advertised on
> his web site.)
>
> Need any further evidence that the term "liberal" has pretty much lost
> all meaning except as a quick and dirty way to denigrate those whose
> ideas one does not accept?

Sure, Richard, I'm always open to greater cognative horizons.  But note
that I asked Timothy if the Pope's advocacy of an economic structure or
system other than American-style capitalism, one that is usually
associated with a "liberal" ethos, would not make the Pope a liberal,
since, on his count, identity is based on action?  OF course it would, and
of course, it would lend weight to your contention.

Stan Ziobro