[Buddha-l] This pope

Stanley J. Ziobro II ziobro at wfu.edu
Wed Apr 6 06:14:35 MDT 2005

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Stephen Hodge wrote:

> The Catholic view is that each individual is created as an unique and
> *indivisible* soul.  However, a problem arises in the cases of twins,
> triplets etc -- in the case of monozygotic twins etc, the division into more
> than one individual only occurs at around 14 days.  This implies that until
> they become distinct individuals each with their individual souls at that
> stage, the single fertilized ovum cannot have a soul and therefore is not
> human.  There is also the inherent contradiction that the souls of some
> individuals are present from the moment of conception while for others not
> until 14 days has elapsed.   An interesting condundrum -- which also has
> implications for Buddhists believing in rebirth, but perhaps less
> intractably so.

Stephen,

Is the implication you draw here the stated Catholic position or is it
your conclusion?  It seems to me that the Catholic emphasis upon human
life beginning at conception leaves no room for the position you offer.
Have you references that would be of use for further inquiry?

Regards,

Stan Ziobro