[Buddha-l] vehicles for an admittedly superficial examination of some fundamental Buddhist principles

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 5 15:00:16 MDT 2005

Gang,

Thanks to Gary for that tidbit on the process of making "Little
Buddha." I believe it.

Carl, I *do* use the film in a course, though we have three weeks to
study Buddhism and thus have the time to separate the mythological
scenes--which, despite Keanu Reeves's accent, are quite good--from the
modern, Vajrayana, scenes. I've considered copying the thing to iDVD
and making an edit with only the mythological scenes. BTW: during a
forgotten whom) told me his Tibetan wife and others found the modern
scenes offensive (and not only because a Chinese man was cast in the
role of the main lama). Having said all those negative things, I don't
think any other popular film pays equal attention to introducing
central Buddhist themes. (Dated documentaries are just too dull for my
students; we're from LA, after all.) And *that* said, I have to add
I've not seen several of the films Gary mentions on his site, for
example, "Enlightenment Guaranteed," which I've heard recommended by
several sources.

Cheers,

Franz Metcalf