[Buddha-l] Re: Religious, But Not Spiritual

Bshmr at aol.com Bshmr at aol.com
Thu Sep 27 20:16:59 MDT 2007

Friends and others,

I, too, am surprised that the subject of Ken Wilbur et al has  garnered so
many column inches at buddha-l.

My exposure came through one lay-dharma facilitator at a  non-denominational
Tibetan church; the guy had a small loyal following which I  sometimes
referred to as The Cult or Gang of 'M'. In addition, the  Gang or Cult met at a
rental chapel to sit, dharma study, and  such. I participated, as a token 'black
sheep' no doubt, in both  sanghas though months of the usual fare.

Then, at the chapel, I vaguely recall listening to an IntegralNaked  audio of
a workshop focusing on "Big Mind" meditation. It struck me as being  very
hypnotic (in a clinical sense), reminiscent of well done EST or  Forum or
Mind-Control, etc. and which I would differentiate from well done  ethical NLP and a
host of other guided imagery. As the informal gathering  continued to explore
and allied with an Integral Studies group, I found  something else to do that
night of the week.

Soon after, the Tibetan center offered a dharma class based of 'The Best of
Ken Wilbur'. I checked out a library copy, blitzed it, concluded it was very
hypnotic (in the clinical sense) ..., and signed up for some other dharma
class.  Though I continued with dharma at the Tibetan center, I lost sight of  all
of the Wilburites, those in both cults or gangs.

To this day, the common non sequitur of an individual being able to
manipulate their EEG (ElectroEncephaloGraph) or recite glossaries of yogan  as
indicative of wisdom or well-being bewilders me. For those who haven't heard,  Ken
Wilbur is reputed to able to 'baseline' some EEG channels --  something which
may be rare but not as rare as one knowing that one  can or making a big deal
over it.

Richard Basham